Hello! My name is Erin Hart Wisti. I live in Los Angeles, have a master’s degree in nonfiction writing, and am the proud owner of one amazing cat and one pretty okay cat.
As I do a list of 5 books every other week, here are 5 facts about me:
- I come from a very political family, but I actually don’t have a vested interest in politics myself. I do have some beliefs though. I’m best defined through 3 “-ists”: feminist, socialist, and atheist! #dreamdate
- When I was 3, I wanted to be a potbelly pig when I grew up. My dad told me this was not possible, so I said, “Okay, I’ll be a pink pig then!” When I found out this was also not possible, I decided to be a writer. I think I would have been happier as a pig. To quote the Samuel Johnson quote I only know from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
- My dad let me watch The Exorcist when I was in sixth grade and used to sing me “Delia’s Gone” by Johnny Cash as a lullaby. Blame him for my morbid interests.
- I have spent entirely too much of my adult life watching cartoons. I really, really love cartoons, guys. I more or less am Tweek from South Park with a little Lisa Simpson thrown in. If I one day raise a son half as awesome as Butters Scotch, I will consider my life a success.
- I once got the words “hostel” and “hospice” mixed up. There was a hostel across the street from my graduate school, and I was shocked and sad by how young everyone who entered was. My friend Jon came to visit one summer, and we stopped in said hostel to use the bathroom. I said something like, “God, this is so sad. They’re all so young.” Jon said, “Why is that sad?” and I was all like, “Well, what the fuck, Jon? Who wants to die in their 20’s!?” He was all like, “Erin, what do you think a hostel is…?” That’s why I’m a writer! I’m great with words and stuff!